Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jigga G's Top NINE Albums of 2009

The Top 9 no one else has heard of:
The post none of you have been waiting for.... and probably won't read (but you might be on it)

9. The XX- The XX-
Honest, Genuine, Feel Good Music







8.
Speech Debelle- Speech Therapy-
2009 Mercury Prize Winner for good reason- great flow-great insight to life on the street







7. Dark Was the Night Compilation-
INCREDIBLE Collection of MUSIC!!!! Turn on and Plan to Chill for HOURS!!! Highlight includes: Bon Iver, The National,
Conor Oberst + Gillian Welch Duet, & as always SUFJAN!!!





6. (Tie) Sara Watkins-Sara Watkins
&
Song Up In Her Head-Sarah Jarosz
- How could I choose btwn the two Sara(h)s? My first love Sara Watkins has an incredible, well thought out polished album, but Sarah Jarosz just has a little more intimate feel. So they tie... so Sue ME! :)




5. The Bright Mississippi- Allen Troussaint


Could Jazz get ANY BETTER? Plus it has my home state in the title added bonus.... Artist remember that when naming your album...




4. The BQE- Sufjan Stevens
Yes I know it is mostly instrumental, Yes I know it is about the synergy of an Expressway and a Hula-Hoop. YES IT DESERVES THIS SPOT!!!







3. (Tie) Younder is the Clock- The Felice Bros & I and Love and You- The Avett Bros.
Once again, 2009 proved to be a good year for brother bands... if only I
could talk my brother into it.... just think The Blair Bros. (nice ring right) any who... The Boys from the Catskills and the Boys from the Carolina Hills both put out excellent albums the Catters a little more free flowing w/energy & the Tar Heels surprisingly more polished but still powerful



2. (Tie) Mean Everything to Nothing-Manchester Orchestra
& Troubadour-K'naan

Two albums seemingly unrelated except in their sheer emotive output... ManO was the album I listened to the most this year especially: I've Got Friends; while K'naan has put out (beside Lupe Fiasco) the best Hip Hop Debut in 20 years (forget Kayne)



1. (Tie) Daisy-Brand New & Wooden Arms-Patrick Watson

Two Bands my old roommate from college told me about years ago have finally come to full fruition with these two albums that ARE THE CREAM OF THE CROP... don't believe me LISTEN!!!

No comments: